Wisconsin Assistance for Single mothers

Last Updated:

In Wisconsin, single mothers can get approved for a lot of assistance programs that could assist them with rent, housing, food, heating costs, and everyday expenses. Our article here provides information on grants and financial assistance programs available in WI.

1. Food stamps – called the “FoodShare” in WI:

Food stamps are offered in all states to those who are in need of food assistance. In WI, the program is named the “FoodShare”, and offers assistance to low income individuals and families. Applicants need to meet the income limits in order to get approved and receive the welfare benefits. You can easily know your eligibility by visiting the local welfare agency, or by making use of online eligibility tools. Contact information for nearby agencies can be found here – link

2. Get cash assistance while you search for a job:

Are you struggling to get on your feet after losing a job recently? If yes, make the most of temporary cash assistance – called the “Wisconsin Works” – Wisconsin offers to its resident families. Only families with dependent children will be eligible to apply. Apart from the aforementioned requirement, families will have to meet income as well as asset requirements to qualify for benefits. Application form can be downloaded online and turned in at local welfare agency. Call the agency beforehand and make an appointment with the case worker. For additional details and local agencies’ contact information, read this page

3. Child Care Subsidy Program:

Low income and moderate income families can apply for the childcare subsidy program – called the “Wisconsin Shares” – and get a hand with the daycare expenses. No doubt families all over the country find it hard to manage the daycare expenses. The situation can be even more difficult if you are a single mother. Thankfully, WI offers subsidized daycare to all families that qualify. If you need daycare assistance, we urge you to contact the local county agency. Note that you can also apply online through this page – link.

The aforementioned link offers a way to apply for not just daycare assistance but also to a plethora of welfare benefits. If you are not inclined towards online application, make a note of your local agency contact detail through the link we gave previously, and meet the caseworker in person.

4. Affordable health insurance:

Is your moderate income making you ineligible for Medicaid? If yes, you might be led to look for an affordable private insurance for your children. But the truth of the matter is that thousands of families, despite their moderate income, find that it is not easy to afford a private insurance. Such families can apply for “BadgerCare Plus” – health insurance with most affordable monthly premiums. If you receive very low income, you might be eligible for free healthcare. Get more details in the official page – dhs.wisconsin.gov

5. Assistance with paying for rent:

Single moms in Wisconsin can apply for rental assistance through the section 8 housing choice voucher program. This program ensures that families do not pay more than 30 percent of their income towards the rent. If majority of your income goes towards rent every month, we urge you to apply for rental assistance by contacting the nearest housing agency. These agencies are responsible for determining eligibility and administering the program.

Grants for single mothers:

If you have been looking for government grants in WI, please read our article on grants here – free government grants. Note that while there are many grant opportunities for single moms, you can also find help by means of several foundations and organizations. These might not be labelled as grants but emergency financial help is provided by several non profit sources. If you are in need of emergency help, call 2-1-1 to get referrals to sources of financial assistance.

2 Responses

  1. Peter Knepler says:

    There are MANY couples who are not marrying because they would lose these benefits…and yet they are living together. I personally know of a dozen or so. Isn’t there anyone that checks this before handing out these “single mother” benefits?

  2. roxanna l. kemppainen says:

    My daughter is 18, a senior at a local High School in Wausau, Wi and her baby is due in a couple days. We, the rest of my family, will be re-locating to MI for a new job for my husband. My daughter wants to stay behind to finish school but will have no place to live. What is available for her and how soon can she get help? She has a small job serving in a restaurant but cannot work with the baby due any day. ANy advice will help. THank you.

Leave a Reply to Peter Knepler Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *