Pregnant women can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for a sore throat with a limit of 3,000 mg in 24 hours. An antihistamine may help if the sore throat is due to postnasal drip because it can dry up those secretions. Sprays or lozenges that contain benzocaine, a local anesthetic, can help numb the throat.
What happens if you have a sore throat while pregnant?
Your immune system lowers slightly during pregnancy so your body won’t reject your developing baby. Not all sore throats are due to infection, however. For example, heartburn, a common pregnancy symptom, can also give you a sore throat. Pregnant women also often become congested, which can lead to a sore throat.
How do you get rid of burning in your throat while pregnant?
How Can I Deal With Heartburn During Pregnancy?
- Skip foods and drinks that can make it worse, such as citrus; spicy, fatty (especially fried or greasy) foods; caffeine; and carbonated drinks.
- Eat several small meals throughout the day.
- Take your time when eating.
- Drink liquids between — not during — meals.
What cold medicine is safe while pregnant?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
What kills a sore throat fast?
16 Best Sore Throat Remedies to Make You Feel Better Fast, According to Doctors
- Gargle with salt water—but steer clear of apple cider vinegar. …
- Drink extra-cold liquids. …
- Suck on an ice pop. …
- Fight dry air with a humidifier. …
- Skip acidic foods. …
- Swallow antacids. …
- Sip herbal teas. …
- Coat and soothe your throat with honey.
Can I take halls while pregnant?
Therefore, the risks of menthol cough drops on pregnancy are not fully known. That said, there have not been any reports of negative effects on a pregnancy due to menthol use. To be safe, you should talk to your doctor before taking menthol cough drops during pregnancy.
What helps acid burn in throat?
How to soothe the burning
- Gargle with a mixture of 8 ounces warm water and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Suck on a throat lozenge.
- Drink warm liquids, such as tea with honey. …
- Turn on a cool-mist humidifier to add moisture to the air.
How can I sleep with heartburn while pregnant?
Elevate the head of your bed by placing books under the legs, and if you’re not already sleeping on your left side, start now; stomach acids will have to travel uphill to reach the esophagus—no easy feat! Pregnant women also shouldn’t lie down or bend over right after eating.
What helps acid reflux naturally while pregnant?
The following tips may help relieve your heartburn:
- Eat smaller meals more frequently and avoid drinking while eating. …
- Eat slowly and chew every bite thoroughly.
- Avoid eating a few hours before bed.
- Avoid foods and beverages that trigger your heartburn. …
- Stay upright for at least one hour after a meal.
How do you fight a cold when pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
Can I take DayQuil while pregnant?
Medications to avoid during pregnancy
Decongestants like Sudafed and DayQuil are generally cautioned against after the first trimester and only in a limited amount. Avoid non-steroidal nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline. Don’t take supplemental vitamins or herbal remedies without medical approval.
Can I take NyQuil while pregnant?
You should not take NyQuil Severe Cold & Flu if you’re pregnant. Use of its active ingredient in early pregnancy may be linked with some birth defects. You should also talk to your doctor before using the liquid forms of NyQuil Cold & Flu and NyQuil Cough during pregnancy.
How should I sleep with a sore throat?
You can also elevate the head of your bed or prop your head up on pillows or a sleeping wedge to reduce acid regurgitation into your throat during the night. If a bacterial infection is the cause of your throat pain, your doctor will prescribe an antibiotic.
What is best medicine for sore throat?
Give yourself some relief with an OTC sore throat medicine.
- Best Overall: Mucinex Maximum Strength. …
- Best Natural: Rhinase Soothing Nasal Gel. …
- Best Lozenges: Chloraseptic Max Sore Throat Lozenges. …
- Best for Nighttime: Advil PM. …
- Best Powder: Theraflu Flu & Sore Throat. …
- Best for Kids: Children’s Tylenol Chewables.
What helps a severe sore throat?
Fluids keep the throat moist and prevent dehydration. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate you. Try comforting foods and beverage. Warm liquids — broth, caffeine-free tea or warm water with honey — and cold treats such as ice pops can soothe a sore throat.