When the toxic black mold spores come in contact with the delicate skin of a young child, they can cause inflammations, rashes, and other irritations. Apart from airways symptoms, children who are exposed to toxic black mold may also experience different neurological problems.
What can mold cause in children?
Mold seeds (or spores) get into the air and are then breathed in. For children at risk, this can cause allergy-like symptoms or trigger breathing problems like asthma.
Signs and Symptoms
- Itchy nose, frequent sneezing, stuffy nose (congestion)
- Watery, itchy eyes.
- Coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath.
Can mold exposure cause behavior problems?
Mold is also known to cause asthma and life-threatening primary and secondary infections in immune-compromised patients that have been exposed. Toxic mold exposure has also been linked to more serious, long-term effects like memory loss, insomnia, anxiety, depression, trouble concentrating, and confusion.
Can you test a child for mold exposure?
Medical testing can be done by your practitioner, including: RAST testing for mold allergens. Skin testing for common allergens. Serum antibody testing for IgG levels and response to antigens.
How do you know if mold is making you sick?
If they come into contact with mold, they may experience symptoms, such as: a runny or blocked nose. watery, red eyes. a dry cough.
How long does it take for mold to affect you?
These microorganisms can quickly fill the air and spread throughout your home, affecting more and more areas and endangering your health with every passing hour. Mold spores that start to colonize on surfaces within 24 hours become visible in about 18 to 21 days of the flooding.
What does black mold smell like?
It’s often described as musty and earthy, and may even smell like rotting vegetables or plants. You might notice a musty smell, but not be able to see any mold growing. … If you’re smelling mold in a usually dry area, you might have water damage or a leaking pipe.
How long does it take to detox from mold exposure?
It can take 24 to 48 hours to properly ventilate and dry the area. If you suspect mold in your HVAC system, turn off your heating and cooling system and contact an HVAC professional immediately.
When should you see a doctor for mold exposure?
If your cold or flu-like symptoms persist, it may be time for a trip to the doctor. Even if you aren’t aware that mold could be causing your issues, a doctor may be able to make the correlations between your symptoms and CIRS.
Is it safe to sleep in a house with mold?
Because of the risks that come with mold exposure, it can be unsafe to sleep in a house with mold, particularly in the affected areas because you put yourself at risk of mold allergies. This becomes especially concerning if you are sensitive to the mold. When mold grows indoors, it can often be found in the bathroom.
Can mold make a child sick?
2. What are the symptoms of black mold exposure in children? Children who are allergic to mold may show symptoms such as sneezing, runny noses, itchy eyes, wheezing and coughing. Black mold exposure can also cause irritant reactions in sensitive children, such as skin irritations, eye irritations or headaches.
How do you test for toxic mold?
How are mold allergies and exposure diagnosed?
- Blood test. Your doctor takes a blood sample and then sends it to a laboratory to measure the number of certain antibodies, which can indicate your immune system’s sensitivity to different mold species.
- Skin prick test.
What health problems are caused by mold?
Exposure to mold can cause several health issues such as; throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, cough, and wheezing, as well as skin irritation in some cases. Exposure to mold may also cause heightened sensitivity depending on the time and nature of exposure.
How do you know if your house is toxic?
Key Signs Your House May Have Toxic Mold
- Dormant allergies or allergic reactions.
- Aggravated asthma or other lung problems.
- Discolored walls.
- Black spots.
What are the symptoms of mold in your lungs?
Exposure to Aspergillus fumigatus mold can cause an infection/reaction called aspergillosis in some people. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, chest pain and fever.
If the disease progresses, symptoms may include:
- Coughing, sometimes accompanied by mucus or blood.
- Chest pain.
- Difficulty breathing.