Free Child Care – Are you not able to afford daycare?

Last Updated:

Finding the most affordable child care service:

Are you finding it hard to afford the child care? If yes, you are definitely not alone. Thousands of families across the country find the same, and the situation of having to pay an arm and a leg for daycare shows no signs of leaving. Fortunately, families deemed low-income and moderate-income can receive childcare assistance from the government in the form of subsidies. This assistance program is not just open to those receiving TANF but also for those going to work, in school, and to people facing involuntary job loss. You can choose any one of the range of allowed services from licensed daycare providers to family daycare homes. If you are facing difficulty on choosing a dependable and trusted service provider locally, make the most of child care information services – CCIS – in your county and speak with their resource and referral specialist. These specialists will be able to go over all the local choices and find a provider not just suiting your needs but also has the reputation you are looking for.

Families with very low income might be able to become eligible for receiving daycare service free of charge, in which case you will not be required to make a co-payment to the licensed care provider. CCIS will make the entire payment to the licensed provider on your behalf. Although resources for free child care are not plenty, families having income that falls under a specific percent of federal poverty level do have chances of getting approved for the same.

On the other hand, those not found eligible for zero co-pay but found eligible for a subsidy will be required to contribute a co-payment that will be based on family size and income. This particular co-payment can be found to be much more affordable as it would be tailored to your financial standing at this point in life.

Note to those not meeting the income guidelines:

Families can get to know more about the subsidies for child care in their state by visiting the department of human services official site wherein the income requirements varying by family size and annual income will be laid out clearly as charts. Even if you do not meet the posted income guidelines in the web site, DHS suggests families to visit them in person and get to know about their eligibility.

Application, waiting list, and benefits:

Application form for daycare assistance can be obtained over the Internet or collected at the local DHS office. One could also call them up and request for a form to be mailed to their residence. As an alternative, you can apply online and also check your application status. Bear in mind that the funding for assistance is limited, and those applying at a time of depleted resource will be put on a waiting list. It is not uncommon to come across families waiting to be assisted for months.

1 Response

  1. HAYLEY says:

    I am a full time college student and going through a divorce. I receive Financial Aid and Student Loans that I live off of. I currently don’t have a job, but am looking for something part-time to help a little. My son and I recently moved in with my mother who makes around 60,000 a year. Here is my question: Because we live in my mother’s house, if I applied for Childcare Assistance would it be based off of her income? Would her income be considered at all? Any help is much appreciated. I try to call DHS but I am on hold for an hour without getting through to anyone. :/
    Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *